DNA Synthesis Automation Engineer
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through quick, decentralized solutions for laboratory work in life science and genomics. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for how nucleic acids are made and accelerate the adoption of synthetic biology across diverse disciplines such as biopharma, sustainable chemistry and data storage.
To date, DNA Script has raised over 58 M€ of financing, mostly through equity funding brought by prestigious players such as Illumina Ventures, LSP, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, BPIFrance, Kurma Partners and Idinvest. The company partners with leading institutions, in particular Institut Pasteur.
We are looking to assemble a team of world class, innovative and passionate people gathering their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of DNA to write the future of life sciences. We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a high-performance biotech startup. We offer a competitive benefits package (salary, equity, healthcare, meal vouchers and public transportation) along with a unique opportunity to work in the heart of Paris.
DNA Script's technology performs synthesis by adding one nucleotide at a time. This iterative process requires to cycle the same steps, such as dispensing, shaking and heating, over and over in order to synthesize DNA fragments of several hundred nucleotides. The process needs to be automated in a robust, reliable, and precise way to achieve high quality synthesis. DNA Script is looking for a talented individual to join the automation team, in charge of the development of the synthesis instruments, both for internal use and commercialization.
This means understanding the different steps of the biological and chemical process and their constraints, proposing automation solutions accordingly, designing, building and programming the different modules required to perform a full synthesis easily and rapidly. The reproducibility and reliability of the machines will also have to be extensively studied. The candidate will have to be handy and a quick learner to accurately grasp the subtilities of the technology, skillfully conduct the design and the construction of the machines, and efficiently troubleshoot its functioning.
As a key activity of the company, the position will require a lot of communication with the different teams, to understand their needs and the impact of proposed solutions on both the synthesis process and its automation.
- Adapt off-the-shelf robots (such as liquid handlers) to DNA Script's synthesis process
- Participate in the internal design (hardware and software) of custom-made synthesis instruments
- Challenge, enhance and validate both internal and external prototypes
- Interface between machines and biologists, understanding and meeting their needs by proposing solutions
- Perform in depth analysis of experimental data
- Actively contribute to critical company milestones, with a willingness to work outside immediate area of expertise when required.
Qualifications and experience
- Masters or Engineering degree
- Highly motivated and proactive
- Problem solver
- Strong coding skills
- Good with one's hands
- Good organisational skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Fluent English speaker
- Good French speaker
- Background in electronics and mechanical engineering
- Basic knowledge of biology
- Experience with liquid handlers
- Knowledge in Python or VBS
- Attraction to the startup world
- 2 to 5 years of experience
Job located in Kremlin-Bicêtre (Paris area)
Start date: ASAP