Nucleotide Chemistry Group Leader
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through quick, decentralized solutions for laboratory work in life science and genomics. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for how nucleic acids are made and accelerate the adoption of synthetic biology across diverse disciplines such as biopharma, sustainable chemistry and data storage.
To date, DNA Script has raised over 58 M€ of financing, mostly through equity funding brought by prestigious players such as Illumina Ventures, LSP, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, BPIFrance, Kurma Partners and Idinvest. The company partners with leading institutions, in particular Institut Pasteur.
We are looking to assemble a team of world class, innovative and passionate people gathering their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of DNA to write the future of life sciences. We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a high-performance biotech startup. We offer a competitive benefits package (salary, equity, healthcare, meal vouchers and public transportation) along with a unique opportunity to work in the heart of Paris.
The Nucleotide Chemistry Group Leader will be in charge of the development, production and quality control of modified nucleotides, one of the key reagents in DNA Script's technology.
You will play a key role at DNA Script, since we plan to enter the DNA market in the coming years and need to secure sourcing and pricing of these key reagents. Development of new modified nucleotides with additional functionalities is also crucial to broaden our technology applications.
Your roles will be to:
(i) Manage the Chemistry R&D team for the development of multiple types of modified nucleotides
(ii) Ensure the sourcing, production and quality of these nucleotides at large scale in adequation with the Company development and business plans
● Lead a team of 5 scientists (PhDs, engineers, technicians) to complete projects according to established timelines
● Provide guidance to the team for developing new synthetic routes, establishing scalable and economical processes, optimizing process parameters and increasing internal production capabilities
● Define strategy roadmap for the production of the modified nucleotide portfolio (internal/external) and the associated cost reduction
● Lead the transfer of products from R&D to Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMO)
● Work with CMOs for large scale production, find new partners, negotiate mutually beneficial contracts and build strong beneficial partnerships
● Author, review, and/or approve technology documents such as tech transfer documents, validation protocols, reports
● Ensure the delivery of modified nucleotides and their quality at standards compatible with R&D needs and with upcoming DNA production operations
Experience and skills
● Holds a Master or PhD degree in the field of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or similar with a minimum of 8-10 years of industry experience required
● Experience in R&D team and project management
● Expertise in nucleic acid chemistry
● Experience in sourcing and procurement
● Experience in industrial process and scale-up
● Experience in technology transfer with CMO
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Team player, efficient interaction with internal team members as well as external partners
● Fluent English speaker
● Expertise in nucleoside and nucleotide chemistry
● Experience with phosphoramidite chemistry
Job located in Kremlin-Bicêtre (Paris area)
Start date: ASAP