Biotech Research Scientist for DNA Synthesis Platform
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through quick, decentralized solutions for laboratory work in life science and genomics. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for how nucleic acids are made and accelerate the adoption of synthetic biology across diverse disciplines such as biopharma, sustainable chemistry and data storage.
To date, DNA Script has raised over 58 M€ of financing, mostly through equity funding brought by prestigious players such as Illumina Ventures, LSP, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, BPIFrance, Kurma Partners and Idinvest. The company partners with leading institutions, in particular Institut Pasteur.
We are looking to assemble a team of world class, innovative and passionate people gathering their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of DNA to write the future of life sciences. We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a high-performance biotech startup. We offer a competitive benefits package (salary, equity, healthcare, meal vouchers and public transportation) along with a unique opportunity to work in the heart of Paris.
DNA Script's technology performs synthesis by adding one nucleotide at a time. This iterative process requires to cycle the same steps, such as dispensing, shaking and heating, over and over in order to synthesize DNA fragments of several hundred nucleotides. The process needs to be automated in a robust, reliable, and precise way to achieve high quality synthesis. DNA Script is looking for a talented individual to join the Synthesis platform team, in charge of providing to the rest of DNA Script oligos for application development as well as quality data for the R&D team.
This platform plays a centre role for DNA Script by evaluating new reagents and their stability, performing synthesis for enzyme screening and qualification and by providing DNA to the application development team. To do so, the candidate will need to interact with many different teams, understanding their needs and optimizing synthesis runs. He or she will be in charge of the day to day operations in particular in setting -up the DNA synthesis runs on the DNA synthesis platform in order to provide essential data and oligos to the rest of the company.
The candidate will be running and tracking the necessary tests and processes to ensure day to day reproducibility, excellent synthesis and data quality. This work will be performed on standard liquid handling systems. We are seeking an individual who is well organized, detail-orientated, enjoys problem-solving, and is able to work in a multi-disciplinary role. The candidate will have to be handy and a quick learner to accurately grasp the subtilities of the liquid handlers.
Qualifications and experience
- Contribute to the development and validation of automated synthesis protocols
- Run efficiently and reproducibly day to day operations, provide high quality results, ensure high equipment uptime,
- Prepare runs understanding internal customer needs and choosing best liquid handling configuration, perform runs, analyse data and propose new tests
- Perform tests used to follow key parameter indicators (KPI) for synthesis in order to evaluate day to day performances, drifts, improvements…,
- Effectively document and report on platform KPI, QC data and processes,
- Participate to platform improvements and contribute to larger usage of automation.
- Establish, test and improve a broad variety of assays for synthesis
- Work collaboratively with groups across the company to set up appropriate runs,
- Engage in good laboratory/documentation practices, write Standard Operation Protocols (SOPs) and enforce their correct use,
- Actively contribute towards critical company milestones, with a willingness to work outside immediate area of expertise where required.
- Master or Process or biotechnology engineering, research assistant, PhD or similar,
- Minimum of two years' experience in managing a service platform or a pilot line using automated liquid handlers, preferentially in the field of molecular biology,
- Experience in automation, liquid handlers, high throughput screening or analysis,
- Some experience in R&D (molecular biology, diagnostics, or a related field),
- Excellent knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Tools,
- Excellent organisational, analytical, and systematic troubleshooting skills,
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills,
- Highly motivated, with a passion for developing tools and methods,
- Ability to work independently and as part of a large multi-disciplinary team,
- Dynamic with positive attitude willing to engage at a very high level,
- Excellent English language level
- Intermediate French language level.
- Experience in molecular biology methods including PCR, restriction digestion, DNA/RNA purification, and nucleic acid characterisation and/ or in nucleic acid synthesis.
- Knowledge in coding with Visual Basic Script (VBS), python or the like.
Contact email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job located in Kremlin-Bicêtre (Paris area)
- Start date: ASAP