Product Development Engineer - Hardware
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through the decentralization of rapid, on demand and high-quality DNA synthesis. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for customizing nucleic acid synthesis thus accelerating discovery in genetics, genomics, and synthetic biology. Discovery disciplines with profound impacts upon humanity such as biopharma, translational genetics and even molecular information storage all start with synthetic DNA.
To date, DNA Script has raised over $65M of financing, mostly through leading investors such as LSP, BPI France, Illumina Ventures, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, Kurma Partners and Idinvest. DNA Script has its research facility headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of establishing its commercial and development teams near San Francisco.
DNA Script has its research facility headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of establishing its commercial and development teams near San Francisco. Opportunity and Challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of "DNA-write". We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is actively searching for a Product Development Engineer who will be primarily responsible for the optimization of our DNA synthesis systems as well as developing module and system verification tests that support the development of DNA Script's commercial product. Additionally, this role will involve some level of field support in terms of installing systems, developing IQ/OQ/PQ protocols, troubleshooting, and eventually training dedicated field support teams as the company grows. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
The position will be US based and will begin as a remote role, but the candidate will be expected to be based in the California office, when opened. Additionally, this role will require between 10% and 15% of her/his time on the road, interacting with the technical team in Paris, and supporting beta placements. Responsibilities:
● Participate in the development and specification of product hardware architectures
● Interface with and collaborate with external development partners, accelerating product development
● Operate and optimize prototype hardware systems, improving and extending DNA synthesis capabilities
● Develop, document, and execute module- and system-level verification tests
● Install and test systems at customer sites
● Train field service personnel and develop training materials
● Develop and document design specifications, purchased material specifications, and acceptance tests
● Perform risk assessments, design reviews and participate in CAPA/SCAR process
● Assist with design transfer to manufacturing, process validation, and manufacturing documentation, as needed
● Assist with / perform system validation tests as needed
● Research adjacent technologies and participate in ideation for new products and improvements to existing product
● Collaborate with Marketing team to optimize user acceptance testing and identify new applications for product Ideal Candidate will have:
● A Bachelor's or Master's Degree in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field
● Experience working with / designing laboratory automation systems
● Experience with tuning/optimizing vacuum, heating and liquid dispensing systems
● Capability to work with and write custom Python scripts for testing hardware & acquiring/presenting data
● Electronics design experience is a plus
● Laboratory experience involving PCR/qPCR is highly desired
● Background in biological sciences, DNA applications, either from education or work experience
● Exceptional analytical, numerical and reasoning abilities
● The ability to represent the Company in front of customers, collaborators, industry peers and scientists
● The highest level of personal honesty, integrity and commitment; unquestionably walks the talk so others want to follow Miscellaneous
- Job located in South San Francisco, CA
- Start date: Q3 2019