Research Associate – PCR Applications - San Francisco - USADNA Script
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through the decentralization of rapid, on demand and high-quality DNA synthesis. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for customizing nucleic acid synthesis thus accelerating discovery in genetics, genomics, and synthetic biology. Discovery disciplines with profound impacts upon humanity such as biopharma, translational genetics and even molecular information storage all start with synthetic DNA.
To date, DNA Script has raised over $65M of financing, mostly through leading investors such as LSP, BPI France, Illumina Ventures, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, Kurma Partners and Idinvest.
DNA Script has its research facility headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of establishing its commercial and development teams in South San Francisco. Opportunity and challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of "DNA-write". We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is looking for a talented PCR applications scientist to join our Product Development team. The candidate will be responsible for the establishment, optimization and routine execution of endpoint and real-time PCR processes and applications downstream of DNA synthesis, that qualify the performance of the platform in terms that meet the needs of prospective customers.
The candidate will contribute to the design of application verification and validation tests, and she/he will interface with marketing personnel and potential customers to define and refine acceptance criteria and methods. The position will involve development and validation of new applications and automatable processes compatible with the company's future products.
The candidate will join a global team bringing together scientists from various fields of expertise. We are looking for a person who is rigorous, well organized and detail-oriented. Pro-active, the candidate should be a problem-solver and should have a strong ability to think "out of the box", as well as willingness to suggest and to perform assays derived from currently available methods.
The position will be based in the South San Francisco, California office. Responsabilities
- Design and develop assays directed at qualifying DNA synthesis quality leveraging PCR and/or qPCR
- Contribute to/lead the design of synthesis controls which can be assayed within 24hours.
- Participate in the smooth operation of the laboratory. Order and receive materials, maintain a clean and organized lab environment, clean and maintain glassware, equipment as needed.
- Prepare buffers, solutions, reaction mixes, etc. following approved protocols.
- Collaborate with marketing/business development personnel to expand application portfolio and collaborations with KOL's.
- Interface and assist with hardware engineering as needed to improve and extend DNA synthesis capabilities
- Perform fluorescence labeling of DNA samples (end-labeling), order and maintain nucleotide solutions and precursors
- Design primers and probes for qPCR studies and applications.
- Perform routine quality control tests of synthesized DNA: gel electrophoresis, fluorescence imaging, DNA quantitation.
- A Bachelor's in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field
- Minimum of 2 years' experience working in a research laboratory, involving PCR and qPCR
- Knowledge of molecular biological techniques for handling and manipulating DNA samples
- Experience with reagent preparation & qualification
- Experience and expertise qualifying amplicon products by gel electrophoresis
- Strong documentation skills and ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, utilizing Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Ideal candidates will have
- Strong analytical mindset, detail oriented, and adept using Microsoft Excel or other tools to communicate and present data.
- Knowledge and experience with using PCR and qPCR systems
- Past experience with fluorescent labeling of oligonucleotides
- Past experience involving primer and probe design for qPCR
- Versatile and adaptable to new methods, technologies and approaches
- Relevant experience working in a GMP/GLP environment
- Excellent communications skills
- Proactive, solutions-focused
- Job located in South San Francisco; 279 East Grand Ave
- Start date: Q1 2020