Senior Software Engineer – Cloud Architect
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through the decentralization of rapid, on demand and high-quality DNA synthesis. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for customizing nucleic acid synthesis thus accelerating discovery in genetics, genomics, and synthetic biology. Discovery disciplines with profound impacts upon humanity such as biopharma, translational genetics and even molecular information storage all start with synthetic DNA.
To date, DNA Script has raised over $65M of financing, mostly through leading investors such as LSP, BPI France, Illumina Ventures, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, Kurma Partners and Idinvest. DNA Script has its research facility headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of establishing its commercial and development teams near San Francisco. Opportunity and Challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of "DNA-write". We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is actively searching for a full stack Senior Software Engineer / Cloud Architect who will be responsible for technical design and definition and development of our cloud based Design Hub. Our goal is to provide a scalable, secure multi-tenant platform which enables our customers to access primer design tools meeting their application needs, optimized for our proprietary oligo synthesis chemistry. Additionally, this platform will support the secure communication of instrument performance metrics as well as enabling customers to order reagents and consumables, supporting their ongoing and future needs.
The position will be US based and will begin as a remote role, but the candidate will be expected to be based in the California office, when opened (SF Bay Area, most probably East Bay). Additionally, this role will require up to 15% of her/his time on the road, interacting with potential customers, key opinion leaders, and the technical team based in Paris. Responsibilities:
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Ownership of software architecture and technical approach for our enterprise cloud platform
- Lead development of design API to synthesis quality prediction calculator
- Integrate instrument monitoring and diagnostics with cloud platform
- Design and develop microservices supporting business and product needs
- Recruit and lead a high-quality team of web and instrument control software engineers
- Hold software development engineers to the highest expectations and provide feedback on code and design approaches
- Consult with product management and marketing teams to capture and define software requirements and influence overall product direction.
- Consult with UX design personnel, clients and potential customers to understand their needs, objectives, and use cases
- Research adjacent solutions and benchmark architecture against relevant exemplars
- Participate in the quarterly and annual planning of company objectives
- Recruit and lead a high quality software development team
- A Bachelor's Degree, or a Master's Degree in software engineering or related field
- Familiarity with enterprise NGS cloud-based systems, ideally Illumina's BaseSpace / Design Studio
- Prior experience developing and launching multi-tenant cloud-based SaaS on AWS
- Experience developing web applications using Node.js/React
- Experience developing services using Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Background in biological sciences, DNA applications, either from education or work experience
- Experience developing software interfaces involving e-commerce is a plus
- Exceptional analytical, numerical and reasoning abilities coupled with the emotional intelligence necessary to lead
- Track record of strong, team oriented, leadership abilities, as well as the ability to influence the establishment of a course that is optimal for the company
- The passion, authority and credibility to represent the Company in front of customers, collaborators, industry peers and scientists
- The highest level of personal honesty, integrity and commitment; unquestionably walks the talk so others want to follow
- Job located in San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)
- Start date: Q3 2019