Staff Scientist – Next Gen Sequencing - San Francisco - USADNA Script
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using an enzymatic technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through the decentralization of rapid, on demand and high-quality DNA synthesis. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for customizing nucleic acid synthesis thus accelerating discovery in genetics, genomics, and synthetic biology. Discovery disciplines with profound impacts upon humanity such as biopharma, translational genetics and even molecular information storage all start with synthetic DNA.
To date, DNA Script has raised over $65M of financing, mostly through leading investors such as LSP, BPI France, Illumina Ventures, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, Kurma Partners and Idinvest.
DNA Script has its research facility headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of establishing its commercial and development teams in South San Francisco. Opportunity and challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of "DNA-write". We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our DNA Synthesis platform will not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but will also accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is looking for a talented NGS scientist to join our Product Development team. The candidate will be responsible for the establishment, optimization and routine execution of NGS processes and applications downstream of DNA synthesis, that qualify the performance of the platform in terms that meet the needs of prospective customers.
The candidate will lead the design of application verification and validation tests, and she/he will interface with marketing personnel and potential customers to define and refine acceptance criteria and methods. The position will involve development and validation of new applications and automatable processes compatible with the company's future products.
The candidate will join a global team bringing together scientists from various fields of expertise. We are looking for a person who is rigorous, well organized and detail-oriented. Pro-active, the candidate should be a problem-solver and should have a strong ability to think "out of the box", as well as willingness to suggest and to perform assays derived from currently available methods.
The position will be based in the South San Francisco, California office. Responsabilities
- Subject matter expert for Next Generation Sequencing, DNA library preparation, sequencing assays and applications
- Design and develop system validation tests directed toward NGS applications
- Lead application verification and validation test design and acceptance tests
- Lead bioinformatics pipeline development for analysis of NGS data from internal and external sources, and across a variety of sequencing platforms
- Collaborate with marketing/business development personnel to expand application portfolio and collaborations with KOL's.
- Design and perform experiments supporting the creation of application notes and marketing collateral.
- Work closely with team members to improve quality and performance of the synthesis system
- Interface and assist with hardware engineering as needed to improve and extend DNA synthesis capabilities
Ideal candidates will have
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or related field
- 5-10 years' experience working in an Academic research or Life Sciences R&D organization
- Deep knowledge of NGS and molecular biological techniques for handling and manipulating DNA samples
- Prior experience generating NGS libraries for whole-genome, exome, and or targeted NGS
- Past experience developing assays for NGS applications
- Strong documentation skills and ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, utilizing Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong analytical mindset, detail oriented, and adept at communicating ideas, concepts, and presenting data
- Past experience working in a NGS core facility and/or a company developing assays/products under ISO13485.
- Past experience developing / using bioinformatic pipeline for analysis of NGS data
- Versatile and adaptable to new methods, technologies and approaches
- Relevant experience working in a GMP/GLP environment
- Excellent communications skills
- Proactive, solutions-focused
- Job located in South San Francisco; 279 East Grand Ave
- Start date: Q1 2020